Monday, September 08, 2014

A poem from the POETRY mobile app

WHAT THE BONES KNOW 

By Carolyn Kizer


Remembering the past
And gloating at it now,
I know the frozen brow
And shaking sides of lust
Will dog me at my death
To catch my ghostly breath.
 
          I think that Yeats was right,
          That lust and love are one.
          The body of this night
          May beggar me to death,
          But we are not undone
          Who love with all our breath.
 
                     I know that Proust was wrong,
                     His wheeze: love, to survive,
                     Needs jealousy, and death
                     And lust, to make it strong
                     Or goose it back alive.
                     Proust took away my breath.
 
                                 The later Yeats was right
                                 To think of sex and death
                                 And nothing else. Why wait
                                 Till we are turning old?
                                 My thoughts are hot and cold.
                                 I do not waste my breath.
 



Carolyn Kizer, "What the Bones Know" from Cool, Calm & Collected: Poems 1960-2000. Copyright © 2001 by Carolyn Kizer.  Reprinted by permission of Copper Canyon Press, P. O. Box 271, Port Townsend, WA  98368-0271, www.coppercanyonpress.org.




Read more about this poem and poet on the Poetry Foundation website: http://bit.ly/qQjGLo



Sent from The Poetry Foundation POETRY mobile app. Download your copy from AppStore now!


Sent from my iPad

No comments: